Cancun is one of the most popular holiday resorts. Millions of tourists come here every year. At the same time, their flow is endless throughout the year. However, some tourists prefer to visit Cancun in July. For more about Cancun in July, you may read below.
- 1 Tourism seasons in Cancun
- 2 Features of Cancun in July: Cancun travel tips
- 3 Cost of staying in Cancun in July
- 4 Cancun weather in July
- 5 Events in Cancun in July
- 6 Would it be possible to come to Cancun in July?
- 7 Heatwave in Cancun in July
- 8 Rainy Cancun weather in July
- 9 Hurricanes in Cancun in July
- 10 When to come to Cancun to go swimming? When to visit Cancun to enjoy the nightlife?
- 11 Travel tips for Cancun in July
- 12 Best things to do in Cancun in July
- 13 Safety in Cancun
- 14 FAQ
- 15 Results
Tourism seasons in Cancun
Before getting acquainted with Cancun in July, you should determine the difference between the seasons in the country. Cancun is dominated by several travel seasons, namely high season, low season, and off-season.
The high season lasts from December to spring break. At this time, there is a peak season, in particular, if the question concerns Mexico. With the advent of the Christmas holidays in Cancun, you can meet crowds of tourists.
Many people come here with their children, whose winter holidays begin.
You need to understand that in the high season in Cancun, there are quite high prices. This applies not only to flights but also to the cost of hotels and transport. If you want to avoid an excessive flow of tourists, high prices, and queues, it is better to schedule a visiting Cancun in early December.
If you think about when the low season is in Cancun, then it makes sense to come here from May to October. This season is observed in the same period as the rainy season. There is also a hurricane season during this period. This is what explains the appearance of the low season.
If you are planning to visit Cancun during the low season, then be prepared to face frequent downpours. The weather is completely unpredictable. Even though hurricane condition is planned, it is possible that you will not experience it at all. After all, showers and gusts of wind can occur only once every few days.
In the summer in Mexico, almost the entire coastline of the Caribbean Sea is filled with algae. Therefore, Cancun hotels are trying in every possible way to fight them. However, you still see numerous algae. It is immediately noted that visiting Cancun at this time not all tourists try.
If you are planning to save money, visit Cancun during the rainy season. After all, hotels reduce the cost of rooms due to a lack of guests. If you’re on a budget, time to visit Cancun during this season.
This period is also called the shoulder season. It occurs from April to May and also from November to December. If you visit Cancun during the shoulder season, you can avoid the queues. At the same time, due to the lack of a hurricane and the rainy season, the weather in the shoulder season is favorable for walking.
The wet season is observed from May to October. During this period, the weather is hot, even when compared with the dry season.
This season is observed from early June to November. From August to October, there are frequent storms. If you visit Cancun during this period, you are unlikely to encounter real and strong hurricanes.
If your budget is limited, and you don’t mind walking in rainy weather, then you can safely plan a trip to Cancun at this time. According to statistics, since the mid-70s of the last century, there have been only 2 hurricanes in Mexico.
The dry season runs from early December to April. At this time, there is quite cool weather, which is comfortable for traveling and walking.
Features of Cancun in July: Cancun travel tips
Cancun in July is quite hot, with high levels of humidity. Rainy days at this time are rare, even though the month is considered the rainy season.
From the middle of the month, there is intense heat. As night falls, the air temperature drops slightly.
At night, the temperature is around 77 degrees Fahrenheit. If high humidity doesn’t scare you, time to visit Cancun in July. If you come to Cancun in July, you can enjoy a beach holiday. However, exploring the ruins and the jungle is more difficult. Therefore, you have to plan a vacation in Cancun, closer to the coast.
Cancun in July is in demand among fans of swimming with whale sharks. It is noted that whale sharks prefer to stay in warm waters in July. Most often, whale sharks are found near Cancun and Isla Mujeres. Almost all guides arrange tours of whale sharks. You can watch them or swim with them.
Many tourists refuse such a holiday because they are afraid to be close to this type of fish. However, you shouldn’t worry. Whale sharks, despite their large size, do not pose a danger to humans. If you’re in Cancun in July for just a few days, be sure to swim with the whale sharks.
The whale shark season is only in July. Therefore, you should not miss the opportunity to swim with them because you have to wait another year. Cancun in July is famous not only for whale sharks but also for sea turtles. You can watch baby sea turtles move toward the ocean.
Sea turtles are attracted due to their attractiveness. However, for safety reasons, it is recommended to admire sea turtles from afar. This keeps them safe. Indeed, due to the small size, you risk injuring them.
Cost of staying in Cancun in July
Many tourists visit Cancun in July. This is because the summer holidays begin in schools. Despite this, the cost of living in hotels and hostels is negligible. Considering that Cancun has a low season in July, this is the best time for a relaxed and useful holiday.
Cancun weather in July
The Cancun weather can change depending on the time of day. If you visit Cancun in July, the minimum temperature is 77℉ and the maximum can reach 91℉.
In Cancun in July, it is quite hot during the day, but the evenings are very cool and comfortable for walking.
The average temperature in Cancun in July is 85℉ during the day and 80 degrees at night. As you can see, the Cancun weather is not stable, so it is better to wear a long-sleeved sweater in the evenings. The average wind speed in Cancun in July is about 2,23 miles per hour.
It is important to consider the Cancun weather in terms of humidity. Cancun is quite humid in July. Humidity can be at the level of 60-97%. The indicators do not fall below 50%. Cancun in July is rainy, which further increases the humidity. Because of this, hiking can be uncomfortable.
Cancun in July is not too rainy compared to June. On average, for the whole month, there can be no more than 5 rainy days. The average amount of precipitation is at the level of 115 mm. The average rainfall may vary from year to year. Only rain showers are rare.
Cancun faces hurricanes in July. Therefore, the average rainfall is unstable. Rain showers may be and disappear, and in between, it is sunny. Solar time is observed at about 11 hours a day. Ocean temperatures can reach 84℉.
Events in Cancun in July
If you are planning to visit Mexico in July, in particular Cancun, you should familiarize yourself with the main events.
Whale Shark Festival on Isla Mujeres
Every July, Cancun hosts the Whale Shark Festival. To visit it, you have to go to Isla Mujeres. It is believed that the largest fish live on Isla Mujeres. Their length can reach 40-50 feet. However, they should not be compared with ordinary sharks that encroach on people.
The migration of whale sharks through Isla Mujeres takes place annually, from June to September. If you like to make sand sculptures, break piñatas, participate in parades, and enjoy seafood, feel free to go to Isla Mujeres from Cancun by ferry. On average, the journey takes about half an hour.
Combined sea tour
If you visit Cancun in July, you can sign up for a combo tour. It includes a tour of the ruins of Tulum, as well as snorkeling along the reefs. You can visit underwater caves and see marine life.
This tour includes swimming in a cenote and tequila tasting. The price of the tour includes a buffet, as well as a tour of Valladolid. The tour lasts all day, and you will get to know the culture, history of the region, nature, and food.
When Holy Week begins, during Easter, almost all schools and businesses are closed. Therefore, everyone prefers to go to Cancun in July to arrange a great vacation for themselves. During Holy Week, many grandiose events are held that you will definitely remember for a lifetime.
Holy Week runs from Palm Sunday to Easter Saturday. Processions are held along all the streets of the city. Participants carry in their hands various images of Jesus, legionnaires from Rome, and the Virgin Mary. Everyone has a lit candle in their hands.
Would it be possible to come to Cancun in July?
Often tourists come to Cancun in July who prefer to save money and are not afraid of humidity and heat. As mentioned, Cancun has a low season in July as well as hurricane season. Despite this, a Cancun trip is enjoyable and exciting if you plan ahead.
In July, the Cancun weather may change. Tropical storms and rainy days give way to sunny weather. According to statistics, very few tourists experience hurricanes. Given that Cancun enjoys pleasant ocean temperatures in July, you can enjoy swimming with fish as well as snorkeling.
Visit Cancun in July to save on airfare and accommodation. Due to the low season, there are few tourists, so queues for attractions are practically excluded. Because few people plan a vacation in Cancun in July, your photos will not be filled with tourists in the background.
Heatwave in Cancun in July
July is considered to be the ideal time to visit Cancun. Yes, during this period it is quite hot and humid. Due to high humidity levels, the climate can seem even hotter and more stuffy.
If you decide the time to visit Cancun in July to enjoy sunny skies, here are a few tips to help you beat the heat:
- During rush hour, when the temperature can reach 91 degrees Fahrenheit, try to spend more time near a body of water. It could be the ocean or a pool. This allows you to cool down.
- Choose rooms in hotels with air conditioning.
- Plan walks and excursions for the morning or evening.
Rainy Cancun weather in July
According to statistics, in Cancun in July there is a large amount of precipitation. However, you do not run the risk of facing heavy rain. Despite the rainy weather, you can see great skies and walk around downtown Cancun.
It often rains showers at night, and sunny weather persists during the day.
It is impossible to say exactly how heavy the rains will be. It happens that it rains all day, or it can only rain for half an hour. If you visit Cancun during this season, this does not mean that you have to get wet or change your vacation plans.
Hurricanes in Cancun in July
As already mentioned, in Cancun in July, the hurricane season continues. However, this is not an indicator that you have to stay in the hotel zone all the time. The hurricane season can change in intensity from year to year. In total, there were only 2 strong hurricanes in Cancun, namely in 1988 and in 2005.
When to come to Cancun to go swimming? When to visit Cancun to enjoy the nightlife?
The weather in Cancun is favorable for scuba diving or beach holidays in July. You can explore underwater caves, swim with whale sharks, as well as dive and explore marine life.
The ocean temperature is favorable for swimming, so there is no chance of catching a cold. The best time to visit Cancun is in early summer or fall. The air and water temperature are favorable for swimming. Therefore, you can practice your favorite sport for several hours.
If you like the nightlife, time to visit Cancun for spring break or summer vacation. During these periods, the Cancun beaches are filled with tourists of all ages who prefer beach parties. Cancun comes alive in July and spring break, with numerous bars and restaurants opening.
The largest number of beach parties is observed in March and April. Almost all nightclubs are beginning to overflow with young people. In summer, many people prefer to attend beach parties because the weather remains warm for quite a long time, almost until the morning.
Travel tips for Cancun in July
- If you have decided time to visit Cancun in July, then take care of some knowledge. It is better to book hotel rooms, which are equipped with air conditioning, in advance. This allows you to escape from the intense heat. Check in advance about what the weather will be like in Cancun when you arrive.
- This allows you to stock up on all the necessary travel equipment. If you plan to visit Cancun in July, you should bring an umbrella along with you, as well as a jacket that won’t get wet.As already mentioned, during the hurricane season, there is a lot of algae in the water. Therefore, you need to think in advance about where you will relax, avoiding polluted water.
- In most cases, in July, the beaches of Cancun, in particular Playa Mujeres, are filled with seaweed. Therefore, it is better to refuse to rest in such places. If you plan to pay in cash, it is better to take the local currency, the peso, with you. You can cash out at any ATM.
- Be aware that not all places in Cancun accept credit cards. But ATMs have to look for a long time. If you pay by credit card, it is recommended that you set the local currency, not the national currency. Thanks to the favorable exchange rate, you can save money.
- The water that flows through Mexico’s pipes is undrinkable. You can bring a refillable bottle and special Steri-Pens with you. This saves you money on buying bottled water. Considering that crowds of tourists come to Cancun, it is not necessary to know Spanish. You can safely communicate in English, and the locals understand you.
- Despite the safety of Cancun, you need to be careful while hiking and sightseeing. In some areas of Mexico, there is still a danger for both tourists and residents. Try not to walk alone at night, and do not stand out among the crowd.
- No matter what your budget is, you can definitely find a place to stay in Cancun. On the territory of the city, there are both inexpensive hotels and hostels. Almost all places are located in the downtown part of Cancun. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, you have to go to the hotel zone.
- You can also find great hotels with excellent service in Playa Mexico Mujeres or Puerto Morelos. To save money in Cancun, it is better to travel by bus because taxis are very expensive. You can get from Playa del Carmen to the hotel zone for $45.
- If you travel from Cancun International Airport to the hotel zone, the trip will cost $26. If you choose to take the bus, the ride will cost $1 from the hotel area to downtown Cancun. If you are looking for medium-priced transport, you can book a private transfer in advance.
Best things to do in Cancun in July
If you are ready to endure the hot weather in Cancun in July, you should find the best tours for yourself in advance. This Mexican city is rich in sights and interesting entertainment.
Acquaintance with the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza
It is believed that Chichen Itza is one of the new wonders of the world. Mexico is famous for this attraction, so it makes no sense to introduce it. You can get to the ancient city where the Mayan civilization lived just 2.5 hours from Cancun.
You can get to Chichen Itza in the car, which you can rent. It is also possible to travel by bus. This is the most affordable option, however, be prepared that the travel time increases by several hours.
The cost of the tour to Chichen Itza is $79. This is the price for an adult. If you are traveling with children, then you will have to pay $64 for them. This price includes a trip to Chichen Itza, swimming in a cenote, lunch, and a survey of Valladolid.
Viewing Maya ruins in Cancun
The city of Cancun is well-known for its numerous Mayan ruins, the path to which takes less time compared to Chichen Itza. At the same time, pleasant impressions will be preserved. This is the best solution if you are limited in time and cannot spend a day viewing Chichen Itza.
Alternatively, you can visit the ruins of El Rey, El Meco, and Yamil Luum. No less popular among tourists are the ruins of San Miguelito, which are located in the Mayan Museum of Cancun.
- Given that Cancun is located on the Caribbean coast, here you can enjoy your vacation on one of the best Mexican beaches. Almost all the beaches that are within the city are distinguished by their beauty.
- The largest number of tourists come to Playa Mujeres, Playa Marlin, and Playa Delfines. All of them have a clean coastline, as well as the bright blue waters of the Caribbean Sea.
Trip to Isla Mujeres
The journey from Cancun to Isla Mujeres takes only 20 minutes if you buy a high-speed ferry ticket. This is one of the most sought-after and popular islands in the Caribbean. This is a great place if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing holiday. This is the exact opposite of noisy Cancun.
Swimming in the cenotes of Cancun
Almost all tourists who come to Cancun in July try to find a swimming tour in the cenotes. These are small funnels that are distinguished by fresh water. They flow from the river, which is located under the Yucatan Peninsula. This is one of the longest rivers in the world.
There are about 6,000 cenotes in the Yucatan, so you can definitely find the right option for you. You need to find in advance a list of things that are required for swimming. Some of the cenotes that make the list of the best are outside of Cancun.
It is possible to arrange a walk through the jungle in Xcaret Park. This is a great solution to enjoy the famous nightly dance shows. The Mexican water park Xcaret is in the greatest demand. However, its difference is that beautiful nature is used as an alternative to pools.
Summer oasis in the city
If you prefer to have fun, then the Riviera Maya is a good solution. You can visit the Summer Oasis. This is a festival that lasts 4 days and consists of 12 events with different themes.
It is believed that this is the most famous party held in Cancun.
It is held in July and is accompanied by performances by DJs. Therefore, tourists and locals can enjoy dancing, various drinks, and parties on the beach. Some parties are held by the pools.
Dia Fuera del Tiempo
On July 26, Cancun celebrates the Mayan New Year, which is also called the “Day Out of Time”. However, the celebration does not be as extensive as in Mexican Tulum. It is here that the New Year is celebrated most noisily.
1-day trips from Cancun
If you arrive in Cancun in July, you can travel for 1 day outside the city. However, you need to rent a car for this. If you go south, you can get to Playa del Carmen. If you drive another 1 hour to the south, then you get to Tulum. Other magical cities are located nearby, including Valladolid and Izamal.
Safety in Cancun
- In most cases, Cancun is quite safe for tourists. Traveling around the city, you cannot worry about the safety of your belongings and life. However, given that the city is popular with tourists, petty theft is not ruled out. Therefore, try to keep a close eye on your wallet and suitcase.
- If you plan to come to Cancun on your own, it makes sense to read the guide for safe tourism in advance. This keeps you safe. Do not be afraid that Mexico is constantly featured in the world news as a criminal country. Cancun is safe, which is why many tourists choose it.
- No need to believe that Mexico is so dangerous that you should not go there. If the country were so dangerous, more than 35 million tourists would not have visited it over the past year. You should not fear for your life when traveling in Mexico. If you protect yourself, nothing bad will happen.
When you have time to visit Cancun in July, people face plenty of questions.
Is July too hot in Cancun?
July is considered to be one of the hottest months of the year in Cancun. At the same time, increased humidity is noted, which significantly complicates the fight against hot weather. The highest heat in Cancun occurs from mid-July to August.
Is July rainy in Cancun?
Cancun in July is considered quite rainy. There is only a 30% chance that you encounter a sunny day. In most cases, the weather is cloudy or rainy. Average rainfall of 9 mm of precipitation falls per month.
Is June hurricane season in Cancun?
As already mentioned, the hurricane season begins in Cancun at the end of June. It lasts until the end of autumn. This greatly affects the weather in Cancun. The greatest probability of encountering hurricanes is in early autumn. This is because the sea temperature is rising strongly.
Is it worth visiting Mexico in July?
July is considered to be quite a rainy and hot month. Most often it rains in the evening. However, this should not spoil your travel plans. July is the best month for those who prefer a beach holiday. Therefore, you should definitely visit the Riviera Maya.
As you can see, Cancun in July is famous for hot and humid weather, as well as a slight chance of hurricanes. If you are ready to deal with this weather, then feel free to plan a Cancun vacation.
I think that your trip to Cancun will be interesting and informative, and no weather conditions will spoil it. After all, if you are in a good mood and with good company, then the trip will definitely be memorable.
I hope that my advice will help you get to Cancun in the right season and fully enjoy all the sights and delights of nature. I will be glad to see your comments and impressions of the trip.
Read More: Best Time To Visit Cancun