If you’re looking for an unforgettable getaway this September, then look no further than the beautiful beaches of Cancun! With breathtaking views, plenty of activities to keep you entertained, and a warm climate, it’s the perfect place to be this time of year.
One thing you might be wondering as you plan your vacation: what can you expect temperature-wise in Cancun during September? We’ve got great news – temperatures in this tropical paradise stay consistently warm throughout the month, with highs in the mid-80s and lows in the mid-70s.
You’ll be able to relax on the beach during the day without fear of getting too hot, and enjoy the evening breeze without shivering! Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or simply want to explore all that Cancun has to offer, September is an ideal month for visiting.
- 1 Overview of Cancun weather
- 2 The average temperature in Cancun in September
- 3 Why go to Cancun in September?
- 4 Key points to know before packing for your trip
- 5 Tips for choosing the right clothing
- 6 How the humidity impacts Cancun temperatures?
- 7 Events in Cancun in September
- 8 Accommodation
- 9 Suggested sightseeing attractions in and around Cancun
- 10 FAQ
- 11 Conclusion
Overview of Cancun weather
- Are you dreaming of a romantic getaway to a tropical paradise? Cancun in September might just be the perfect destination for your vacation escapes! Cancun has a tropical climate with high temperatures all year round and a distinct rainy season.
- With its golden shores, breathtaking sunsets, and warm weather, you’re assured to have an unforgettable stay – let’s take a closer look at what to expect weather-wise in this popular Mexican city.
- You can expect temperatures in Cancun during September to range between 75°F and 90°F – perfect for strolls on the beach or splashing around in the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea.
- This balmy Cancun weather won’t make you feel sticky, as humidity levels will stay below 80%. Thanks to these conditions, all you have to do is put on your sunscreen and enjoy the beautiful, sunny days!
- The months of April, May, October, and early November are considered Cancun’s shoulder season. Shoulder season might also be an excellent time to visit Cancun, with bright days, manageable crowds, and a lesser likelihood of rain showers.
- Though offers aren’t as hot as they are in the low season, accommodation prices are substantially lower than in the high season, so the low season is a terrific time to visit Cancun.
- Cancun’s peak season runs from December to April, during which time the weather is dry and sunny, with low humidity and temperatures in the low 80s. Crowds may be daunting, especially during peak season. If you want to have a peaceful holiday, these months are not the greatest time to visit Cancun.
- What’s more, you won’t have to worry about rain either during your holiday. Cancun experiences little precipitation during this month, so you’re guaranteed some sunny days. And with temperatures dropping down at night between 68°F and 77°F, it’s just perfect for snuggling up with your loved one.
- September temperatures in Cancun make it a paradise for beach-loving couples and sun worshippers; don’t miss out on this opportunity!
The average temperature in Cancun in September
Ah, September! If you’re looking for the perfect month to visit Cancun and enjoy a sunny getaway, this is it. Not only does the Caribbean destination offer a temperature of 84°F (29°C), but you’ll also get to enjoy dry and pleasant weather that makes it ideal for a relaxing vacation.
You should be ready for gloomy skies and brief rain showers because September in Cancun is known for heavy cloud cover.
Plus, since Cancun is located in the tropical, subtropical climate zone, there’s no need to worry about extreme spikes of heat or cold. Even in September, the lowest temperatures reach 73°F (22°C) and the highest temperatures reach 95°F (35°C).
So don’t wait any longer! Pack your bags and enjoy all that Cancun has to offer. With such comfortable temperatures throughout September, you won’t regret your decision to treat yourself to this beautiful spot in Mexico.
Temperature range fluctuations throughout the day
When visiting Cancun in September, you can expect to see temperatures fluctuate throughout the day. During the morning, average temperatures range between 72 degrees Fahrenheit to 79 degrees Fahrenheit, with temperatures falling slightly during the afternoon and evening hours.
During the hottest part of the day—around midday—expect temperatures to reach a peak of up to 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
However, don’t be alarmed if temperatures increase even further! Once daylight fades and night sets in, expect another jump in temperature due to humidity. While it’s usually not unbearable, it can feel rather stuffy after dark so be sure to pack lightweight clothing that won’t stick to your skin when the weather gets hot!
To make sure you have a comfortable stay in Cancun, check out this list of temperature ranges:
- Morning (7 am-11 am): 72°F-79°F
- Afternoon (12 pm-4 pm): 76°F-86°F
- Evening (5 pm-9 pm): 74°F-81°F
- Night (10 pm-6 am): 78°F-84°F
The average wind speed in Cancun in September is between 0 and 6 meters per second (calm to moderate breeze), seldom exceeding 8 meters per second (fresh breeze). The greatest average wind speed of 3 m/s (light breeze) occurs around September 30, while the average daily maximum is 6 m/s (moderate breeze)
Why go to Cancun in September?
Great deals! That is the main benefit of traveling to Cancun during hurricane season.
Even though September is the peak of hurricane season, the chances of a storm striking Cancun are quite low.
Storms are often heavy but brief, and although it is officially hurricane season, large storms are uncommon, having hit only twice in the last thirty years. From a weather forecast perspective, September is a fantastic time to visit Cancun, despite the fact it is still in the rainy season.
Key points to know before packing for your trip
Planning a trip and don’t know what temperature to expect in Cancun during September? Here are some key points to know before packing for your getaway.
The average air temperature in Cancun in September is 82.4°F, which makes it the perfect weather for soaking up the sun, splashing around in the clear blue ocean, or exploring historical sites.
Average sea temperature
If you’re planning a trip to Cancun in September, you may be wondering about the sea temperatures.
The average water temperature in Cancun during this month is around 84°F, which is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and other water activities.
The ocean temperatures remain warm throughout the day, so you can enjoy the beautiful beaches and turquoise waters at any time.
Cancun weather variations
The chance of rain tends to increase in September. The average rainfall in this moths is about 91 mm. While these showers are usually short-lived, you should still be prepared for any rainfall by bringing an umbrella or raincoat.
It is important to constantly keep in mind that storms that directly affect the area are still extremely infrequent and do not always occur every year. It is, nevertheless, advised to obtain additional travel insurance when visiting the Cancun region at this time of year.
By knowing the temperature to expect in Cancun during September and packing accordingly, you will be ready to hit the beach and have a blast!
Tips for choosing the right clothing
- When it comes to packing the right clothing for your Cancun getaway in September, don’t worry – you don’t need to overthink it. The average high temperature hovers around 91° so lightweight layers and breathable fabrics are the way to go. Pack shorts, t-shirts, a few sundresses, and a pair of sandals and you’ll be ready for anything!
- Be sure to bring a light jacket too – when nighttime rolls around the average low-temperature dips to 76°F. So if you’re planning on going out sightseeing or eating at an outdoor restaurant, you’ll want something extra for a bit of warmth.
What not to take on vacation?
Be careful when considering heavier clothing items like sweaters and jeans – these will just weigh you down and make your suitcase bulkier than necessary. You won’t need winter wear in Cancun during September, so save those pieces for a later trip!
Of course, the most important thing to pack is sun protection! Locals recommend wearing wide-brim hats, protective sunglasses, light cotton or linen clothing that covers your arms and legs, and bringing sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Don’t forget to reapply throughout the day – your skin will thank you later!
How the humidity impacts Cancun temperatures?
When it comes to Cancun’s weather in September, the average relative humidity is around 79%, which can make the air feel quite humid even on hot days. Luckily, the ocean breeze helps to keep temperatures comfortable during the evenings.
So what exactly is the humidity like? It starts at an average of 78% at the beginning of September, rising to its peak of 92% by the month’s end.
This means that while temperatures are often pleasant, the air can feel stuffy and wet.
So, make sure to always carry a bottle of water with you and take breaks if you need them; there are plenty of places to cool off! On top of that, dress lightweight (but not too much – remember that Cancun is still a tropical destination). Also, don’t forget your sunscreen – humidity or not, it’s always important!
Events in Cancun in September
Cancun has activities every year, so September is no exception. We can see the possibilities here.
Swimming & snorkeling with whale sharks
- Cancun has an incredible beach for swimming with whale sharks! The gentle giant is found in the waters off Cancun between June and September. Swimming with a whale shark will provide you with a unique experience that you will never miss while you visit Cancun.
- You have the opportunity to swim alongside whale sharks in the wild while observing dolphins, manta rays, and turtles with a professional guide. Small-group tour offers an intimate whale shark encounter at Cancun/ Riviera Maya.
Beaches for September in Cancun
- Playa Caracol is called the last real beach located on the north of the Cancun hotel zone between Plaza Caracol and The Xcaret Dock.
- The beach has fine sand in the clear water and is frequently affected by strong winds generating waves. The wave provides perfect conditions in which windsurfers can sail.
Mexican Independence Day (El Grito)
- Mexican Independence Day is an annual holiday celebrated on September 15 and 16. It celebrates Mexico’s break from Spanish dominance to become a free and independent state and is a symbol of its independence. So Mexicans must celebrate the country’s history.
- They begin on the afternoon of the 15th in Downtown Cancun; throughout the day, you’ll be able to enjoy plenty of music and food. The big party begins and goes on till the end of September 16th – the actual Independence Day.
- During this period places such as Downtown Cancun near City Hall, Hotel zone, Fifth Avenue (Playa del Carmen), and Cozumel of San Miguel are alive with music, dancing, and fun.
Every year on September 22nd, Chichen-Itza hosts the autumn equinox event. Hundreds of people, both tourists, and locals go to Chichen-Itza to see the late afternoon light unveil the snake god Kukulkan’s image on the El Castillo pyramid.
- Looking for the perfect hotel for your trip to Cancun? Look no further! Cancun is home to a wide variety of hotels that cater to every traveler’s needs. Whether you’re looking for a luxurious resort or a budget-friendly option, many Cancun hotels will meet your needs.
- Many hotels in Cancun offer special spring break packages that include access to exclusive events and parties. Whether you’re looking for a wild party atmosphere or a more relaxed vibe, there is a hotel in Cancun that will meet your needs during spring break.
- When it comes to affordable beachside accommodation, it doesn’t get much better than the all-inclusive Imperial Las Perlas.
- Made up of six buildings of three floors each, this complex is located right on the beach within Cancun’s Hotel Zone, just a ten-minute walk away from the resort’s best clubs, bars, restaurants, and shopping malls and a 25-minute drive from Cancun International Airport.
- Just be sure to pack some extra cooling sunscreen and consider booking accommodations with air conditioning to beat the humidity.
Suggested sightseeing attractions in and around Cancun
Cancun is a paradise for travelers seeking adventure, relaxation, and natural beauty. With its stunning beaches, ancient Mayan ruins, and abundant aquatic life, Cancun offers something for everyone.
Take a journey back in time to explore the ancient Mayan ruins of Tulum and Chichen Itza. These impressive archaeological sites offer a glimpse into the ancient Mayan civilization that once flourished in the region.
Marvel at the intricate architecture, learn about the fascinating history, and take in the breathtaking views.
For those seeking an underwater adventure, Cancun offers some of the best scuba diving in the world. Explore the vibrant coral reefs, swim alongside majestic sea turtles, and discover the colorful aquatic life that calls the Caribbean Sea home.
Adult sea turtles are a common sight in Cancun, and you can experience these fascinating creatures up close and personal by taking part in a turtle conservation program. Learn about the conservation efforts, help protect the turtles, and witness the incredible sight of these gentle giants making their way to the sea.
Next, you can explore MUSA (Museo Subacuático de Arte), a unique underwater museum located in the National Marine Park in Cancun and the Isla Mujeres area. Located only about 20 minutes away by a fast ferry boat, you’ll be in Isla Mujeres, Mexico.
Whether you’re exploring the ancient ruins of Riviera Maya, diving with marine life, or helping protect sea turtles, Cancun offers a unique and unforgettable experience for every traveler. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to explore the best of Cancun.
Is September a good month to go to Cancun?
September provides great beaches and ideal weather to visit Cancun. The summer months will have fewer rainy days and warmer temperatures, and prices will be higher because the time of year is arguably Cancun’s best-visited time.
Does it rain a lot in Cancun in September?
Cancun’s wet season lasts from May to October. The average rainfall in Cancun during September is around half of the average rainfall during the summer months, which makes September the wettest month. Cancun weather in September is a great time to visit.
How hot is Mexico Cancun in September?
Cancun weather in September is generally cold and humid. Average temperatures may not seem high at first glance but at 82F the humidity is usually around 60 percent day and night.
Do hurricanes hit Cancun in September?
Don’t skip Cancun in September just because it’s technically hurricane season. Hurricanes can occur in the region from June until October with a peak in August and September.
If you’re looking for a warm and sunny escape, look no further than Cancun in September. The temperatures remain relatively mild from day to night, allowing you to spend your days outside without feeling uncomfortable at any point.
Whether you want to take part in some of the activities on offer, or just take some time to relax, Cancun in September is the ultimate destination.
Read More: Cancun Weather September